Buy

Area Profiles

Bickley

In the 1890’s a siding in this area was known as “Heidelburg” or “Heidelburg Grove” it being the name given to his property by George Henry Palmateer who held 300 acres in the area in 1893. In 1915, because of World War I, the Railway Department was asked to change the name to something not of German origin. The Under Secretary for Lands proposed the name “Bickley” after a pioneer in the area and a member of the first Legislative Assembly – Samuel Wallace Alexander Walsh Bickley or Wallace Bickley, as he was more commonly known, was the original owner of 640 acres on the Canning River in 1843 and the brook which entered the Canning River at the corner of the land was known as “Bickley’s Brook”. Prior to 1949 Bickley was a stopping place on the Upper Darling Range Railway.

Perth Observatory is located here, and it is also one of the major meteorological stations within the Perth Metropolitan Area.

Canning Mills

Canning Mills was the terminus and main destination of the Upper Darling Range Railway during the early stages of its operation until 1912 when the line was extended.

Carmel

The area was originally known as ‘Green’s Landing’ after a siding on the timber line. Levi Green, a well known Perth businessman, had moved into the district in 1844 and the siding was named after him. The name ‘Carmel’ was formally adopted for the siding in 1915 and for a Townsite in 1918. The name was probably first suggested by Edward Owen who had established an orchard and founded a Methodist community near Green’s property. It is a Hebrew word meaning ‘park’ or ‘garden of God’ and is also the name applied to a mountain ridge in Palestine.

Forrestfield

Situated 15km from Perth GPO.

Local folklore suggests that the name comes from Charles Hale who settled here in 1902 and planted a crop amongst the trees. A neighbour referred to him wanting a forest and a field at the same time and the name was later applied to the area. It is believed however, to honour John or Alexander Forrest, although their connection with the area has not been established. A Forrest Field Progress Association was formed as early as 1927 and the name is shown on plans as Forrestfield for 1944.

The suburb is split by Roe Highway into a southern residential area and a northern industrial area.

Shopping

  • Forrestfield Forum – On Hale Road and Strelitzia Avenue. There is ample parking, a Woolworths, a Coles and a collection of other retail stores.
  • Edinburgh Road Shopping Centre – On Cumberland Road, containing a Foodworks Supermarket, a newsagency, a hairdresser and some dining and fast food centres. The complex is open after regular business hours.

Amenities

Hartfield Park Recreation Centre – complex includes indoor stadium as well as playing fields for cricket, rugby, AFL, hockey, soccer and more.

Gooseberry Hill

Situated 25km from the Perth GPO.

The suburb contains the Gooseberry Hill National Park and the Zig Zag railway formation. This suburb takes its name from the hill of this name, recorded by Surveyor Ranford in 1878. It is believed to be derived from the fact that Cape Gooseberries thrived in the area and had been used as early as 1861.

Hacketts Gully

Hacketts Gully was officially named in 1972 and commemorates an early settler and market gardener, Thomas Hackett.

High Wycombe

Situated 15km from Perth GPO.

This suburb was formerly part of Maida Vale and was officially named in 1978. The name was introduced by a subdivider “Western Agencies” in 1958. One of the partners in the firm instigated the name, which was that of a village in Buchinghamshire, England, his birth place.

The main roads in High Wycombe are Newburn Road, Kalamunda Road, Wittenoom Road, Maida Vale Road and Roe Highway.

Schools

  • High Wycombe Primary School, Newburn Road (public school)
  • Edney Primary School, Edney Road (public school)
  • Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School (private school)

Shopping Centres

  • Newburn Road (IGA)
  • “The Village”, corner of Wittenoom & Dundas Road (Supa IGA)
  • “High Wycombe Village” (High Wycombe Hotel redevelopment), Lot 583 Kalamunda Road (Coles Supermarket, McDonald’s)
  • Kalamunda Road/Berle Way (Australia Post)

Kalamunda

Situated 25km from Perth GPO.
This suburb was named in 1901 following a request by 32 residents of the area for a townsite to be declared here. The residents chose the name “CALAMUNDA” as the name of the proposed townsite, combining two Aboriginal words recorded in a book on Aboriginal language by Bishop Salvado. “Cala” signifies “home, district, settlement,” and “Munda” signifies “forest” and the residents hoped it would be considered an appropriate name. The name was respelt ‘Kalamunnda’ by the Surveyor General, but later in 1901 was amended to Kalamunda.

Attractions include the Kalamunda National Park and the northern terminus of the Bibbulmun Track.

Lesmurdie

Situated 25km from Perth GPO.

Like Kalamunda, the development of the “Lesmurdie” area is closely tied to the exploitation of the Jarrah forest in the region by the Canning Jarrah Timber Company Ltd. In 1897, Mr Archibald Sanderson, a Perth journalist commenced the acquisition of a number of these properties, with a view to building up a “rural retreat” and he named his property “Lesmurdie”. Lesmurdie Cottage was a shooting-box in Banffshire, Scotland, near Dufftown and was let to Mr Sanderson’s father for shooting. It was in memory of this cottage that Sanderson applied the name to his property.

The Lesmurdie Falls National Park is an attraction.

Maida Vale

Situated 25km from Perth GPO.

This area was first settled in 1873 by William Henry Mead. He built a home in the Ridge Hill area, and established an orchard named “Orangedale”. The name of Maida Vale was chosen as the district name by a public meeting of local residents in 1910, and comes from the property name of another early settler, Mr W H McCormack. It is assumed that the name was derived from that of the West London suburb of this name, the London suburb in turn being named after Maida (S. Pietro di Maida) in Calabria, Italy. The British Army defeated the French there in 1806, and in commemoration of the victory Maida Hall and Maida Vale were named.

Pickering Brook

Named after the nearby Pickering Brook. The brook is named after an early settler, Captain Edward Picking whose name was sometimes recorded as Pickering. The suburb of Pickering Brook was officially created on the 12th January 1973. Part of it was formerly known as Carilla. The National Park which was previously called Pickering Brook National Park was renamed Korung National Park in June 2008.

Piesse Brook

The suburb of Piesse Brook is named after Piesse Gully which flows through the area. The name of this watercourse was first recorded in 1890, and is most likely named after the family of William Roper Piesse, a prominent citizen with a large family who lived in Guildford for a time. Boundaries for this suburb were approved in 1972.

Walliston

Situated 21km from the Perth GPO.

The name of Walliston honours the area’s first settlers, John and Emma Wallis. The Wallis’s moved to this district in the 1880’s, and were prominent citizens of the district. The area was also known as Wallis’ Crossing, Wallis’ Landing and 12 Mile Siding, and finally resolved as Walliston in 1915.

Wattle Grove

This suburb possibly takes its name from a farm which was known to be in the area around 1920. Another account states the area was named in the early 1900’s as wattle trees lined both sides of Welshpool Road. The district was described as “where the groves of wattle are” by early settlers.